Thursday, June 30, 2016

Back to Those Dusty Old Files


Somewherelong, long agoon a nearly-forgotten trip to Ohio to dig through those prized source documents without which genealogical facts cannot be supported, I decided to do something smart: photocopy the entire Perry County index of births and deaths for my prime surnames. Included in that lot was the surname Gordon.

Where, oh where, is that file, now that I need it?!

Printed out on legal-sized paper by what surely was then still called a Xerox machine, the copies were too unwieldy to fit into my standard sized file cabinet. I had to come up with some other place to store them, so the edges wouldn't become frayed.

That is the rub: where was that place I tucked them so that they wouldn't become worn?

All is not lost, of course. It's a snap they aren't in my file cabinet. Nor in my storage boxesalso standard size folders.

Meanwhile, pending resolution of that search, I have an alternative to resolving my discrepancy over which George and Sarah Gordon are the ones I'm currently seeking. I can grimace and hold my nose and take a peek at one of those "indexed" collections put together by places such as Ancestry.com. You know, the ones with the squishy citations, likequoting here in its entirety from the "citation" box in the drop down resource online


Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.Original data - "Ohio Births and Christenings, 1821-1962." Index. FamilySearch, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2009, 2011. Index entries derived from digital copies of original and compiled re

"Compiled re" what? One wonders such thoughts as, "Why does the title of the collection not match up with the title of its 'original data' source?" After all, the collection's official titledubbed so by Ancestry itselfis "Ohio, Births and Christenings Index, 1800-1962." Where, exactly, did it come from? Who drew up the original index? What material was used as the source documents for compiling that index? How reliable were those indexers?

I could go on with such questions. I want to know whether the data I'm relying on are actually, you know, reliable.

Let's just call this a stop-gap measure. After all, I'm still trying to sort out my Georges and Sarahs. Surely some baptismal records can lend me a handeven if they were indexes of copies of transcriptions of the original thing.

Here's all I could find:
  • A baptismal record for Hugh M. D. Gordon with father George Gordon and mother Sarah Dittoe
  • A baptismal record for "Agness" Gordon with father George Gordon and mother Sara J. Dittoe
  • A baptismal record for Samuel B. Gordon with father George Gordon and mother Sarah Dittoe

Remember that fork in the road I hit yesterday, with the one George Gordon family remaining in Perry County, Ohio, and the other moving to Douglas County, Illinois? Let's take a look at which family had Hugh, Agnes and Samuel with them.

You thought this was going to be easy, right? Well, the 1880 census for neither household had anyone named Agnes Gordon. But there was a Hugh. He wasn't, however, in the same household as the one which had a Samuel.

This complicated matters. I had already assumed the George Gordon family living close to the other Gordon familiesMark in 1860 and Adam in 1870would be the correct household. However, Samuel complicated matters by turning out to be a child in the other Gordon household.

But wait! Not so fast! Let's check ages. The Samuel in the 1880 census was born in 1875. Going back to that baptismal entry in the Index, the Samuel who was confirmed to be the son of Sarah Dittoe was born in 1881too late to have even made it into the 1880 census.

And this Samuel—the late arrival to the Ohio Gordon scenewas the Samuel who had moved with his family to Arcola in Douglas County, Illinois.

So, once I can properly compile the list of all Samuel's older siblings, I'll have a tentative fix on just which George and Sarah was which.

Of course, finding that legal-sized copy of the actual Index to Births for Perry County would be optimal. I know that was the document kept in the courthouse in Perry County. Barring any clerical errors in the official transcription of documents into that courthouse index, I can be fairly certain just whoamong births post-dating 1866, when the county began recording thembelonged to which Sarah Gordon.

That, however, brings up a different question: just who was this other George Gordon? And where does he fit into the family pictureif at all?

8 comments:

  1. A search on FamilySearch for no name born 1850-1900, parents George (not exact) and Gordon (Exact) with mother Sarah (not exact) shows that Samuel B. born 1881 and Helen born 1871, with George and Sarah Gordon in Douglas County, Illinois, were born in Perry County, OH, children of George and Sarah (Dittoe) Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking that, Geolover! That forced search technique is indeed helpful. And what a relief to see these children of the Georges getting sorted out to the right families!

      Delete
  2. https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1680845

    Has an interesting date for this "index"... 14 June 2016? Did someone just update it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you find your well put away files:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably just a sign that I need to go back and revisit a few old file folders! The search will do me good...

      Delete
  4. I often remember books and papers as looking different from what I eventually find. (A red book turns out to be blue, etc.) Did you re-copy (and shrink) those legal-size sheets onto letter-size paper at some point? Did you fold them in half and put them into a letter-size folder or notebook?

    In the mean time, Geolover is right: FamilySearch has indexed the images of the Perry County OH birth registers, and they're online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marian, for pointing out that aspect concerning Geolover's search. I had missed that detail about the images now being on FamilySearch. What a treasure!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...